Even today, in the 21st Century, interracial relationships and Multiracial families are attention-getters. They’re more common all the time, yet, even today, when an interracial couple walks down the street, heads turn, people stare, they make comments. That’s why representations of interracial relationships in popular culture (tv, movies, commercials) are so important. They help demystify interracial relationships and in so doing break down barriers.
Toward that end, we thought we’d draw attention to those onscreen connections that helped move the culture forward on this front. So, without further ado, here’s our list of the top 10 onscreen interracial kisses in tv and movies:
10. Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn in Scandal
9. Jim Brown and Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles
8. Annabella Sciorra and Wesley Snipes in Jungle Fever
7. Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thornton in Monster’s Ball
6. Franklin Cover and Roxie Roker in the Jeffersons
5. Joan Hooley and John White in Emergency Ward 10
4. Lloyd Reckord and Elizabeth MacLennan in You In Your Small Corner
3. Sidney Poitier and Elizabeth Hartman in A Patch of Blue
2. Sidney Poitier and Katherine Houghton in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
1. William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols in Star Trek
So, there you have it. That’s our list. We realize it’s not comprehensive. We realize you may not agree. We realize you may not even agree that such a list was worth compiling. That’s okay. Disagreement and debate is fine. We welcome your input. Please do share. Tell us whether you think such as list is worth preparing. If you don’t, please tell us why. If you do agree that such a list is worthwhile, then let us know whether you agree with the list we’ve put together or whether you think you have a better list and please share that list with us (we’ll be happy to share it with the other Multiracial Media Community members).